Bermuda has confirmed five more cases of COVID-19 from the 30 additional rest results it received on March 30.
Three of the confirmed new cases were imported cases, all of them arriving in Bermuda via different British Airways flights. The other two had close contact with a previously confirmed case.
It takes the total number of COVID-19 cases confirmed in Bermuda to 27.
Out of the 27 confirmed cases, ten people have fully recovered and two remain hospitalised, but in stable condition. The other 15 are currently active inside their COVID-19 infection, with most of them at home with mild symptoms.
David Burt, Bermuda’s Premier, reiterated that it was good news that there have still been no confirmed cases involving local transmission of the virus. Of the 27 total cases, 17 were imported and eight involved close contact with persons that had already been confirmed.The two remaining cases are still under investigation.
Contract tracing has been conducted for close contacts of the two cases being investigated, and close contacts of those patients have been placed in quarantine. “To date, none of them have experienced any symptoms,” Burt said.
Meanwhile, 27 people remain in government monitored quarantine facilities. Burt reminded Bermudians that those currently self isolating should do everything they can to distance themselves from other members of their households, including using a different bathroom where possible and using different kitchen utensils.
“Being in quarantine does not mean that you have the virus, but it does mean that there is a possibility that you may have been exposed to the virus,” Burt stressed. “The most important thing to do is to monitor your health to make sure that you don’t get the symptoms.”
He reminded people that it is possible to pass on the virus without being symptomatic, urging everyone who could have come into contact with the virus to take all possible steps to reduce the risk of contagion.
Burt said there have been 819 completed applications for unemployment benefit submitted to the Department of Workforce Development.Each application will be considered, and the first round of payments will be made by April 3. Burt confirmed that while the initial period of seven days for retail closures was due to end on March 31, the closures had been extended for another seven days. The order to close includes retail, personal care, churches, community facilities, bars and restaurants.
David Burt, COVID-19